Annual Physical Exam Q&A
A comprehensive physical exam gives you one-on-one time with your doctor to evaluate your health, regardless of how you feel. At Carrboro Family Medicine Center, we offer safe and professional wellness exams to ensure your health is exactly where it needs to be. Contact us today for more information about our services and our practitioners – we’re happy to help answer any questions that you may have. To consult our professionals, please contact us or book an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 610 Jones Ferry Rd Suite 102, Carrboro, NC 27510.
Table of Contents:
A physical examination, also known as a wellness check, is an essential preventive care service that helps patients to safeguard their health from ongoing and future issues. While many individuals choose to only see their primary physician when they start to feel unwell, experts recommended annual visits to see your doctor whether you’re displaying symptoms or not. This is an important part of making sure that any conditions or illnesses are caught and treated as early as possible.
A physical examination, also known as a wellness neck, is a series of routine medical tests that your primary care provider performs to check your overall health. You don’t have to be sick to request this type of exam. Instead, they are scheduled as a form of preventative medicine to make sure any ongoing or potential medical issues are addressed regularly and promptly.
A physical examination is beneficial as it gives your family practitioner better insight into the general status of your health. It also gives you the opportunity to talk to them about any of your medical concerns or to ask them any questions pertaining to your health.
Before heading into your physical exam, there are some items that you’ll want to make sure that you bring. These items include:
• A list of any medical procedures you’re undergone.
• A list of questions you would like answered.
• A list of your current doctors and specialists.
• A list of your current medications and supplements.
• A list of your symptoms, including what they are, when they occur, and how long they last.
• A record of your past diagnoses and treatments.
• An allergy list.
• Any measurements your doctor has asked you to keep track of (such as blood pressure).
• Results from past tests and lab work.
These items will provide your physician with a more comprehensive understanding of your health and can help them formulate diagnoses, treatment plans, and recommendations.
During a physical exam, it’s always important to be transparent with your physician about how you’re feeling and any symptoms that you may be experiencing.
Be forthcoming to your doctor about any mental, physical, or emotional symptoms that you’re going through. This includes providing information about:
• Any usual physical or mental distress that you’re feeling.
• Where your discomfort/pain is located.
• What kind of pain you’re experiencing (dull, throbbing, shooting, etc.)
• How long does the pain last or is it always present
• What types of solutions you’ve tried, such as rest, medication, etc
• Your lifestyle, including dietary and exercise habits, alcohol use, and drug use.
This is an important part of safeguarding your health and ensuring that ongoing and potential issues are addressed as soon as possible. This gives you the greatest chance of treating them successfully.
Annual visits with your doctor are an important part of preventive healthcare, ensuring that current issues are being addressed effectively and that potential medical problems are identified as soon as possible.
The benefits of getting a comprehensive physical include:
• Having a complete, comprehensive, and current record of your health and well-being.
• Early detection of potential medical concerns.
• Getting helpful lifestyle advice to safeguard your health.
• Getting screened for diseases and conditions.
• Having current medication monitored and modified as necessary.
• Getting recommendations to specialists, if required.
• Keeping current on your immunizations.
If you’d like to book yourself or a family member in for a physical exam, contact the medical team at Carrboro Family Medicine Center. We provide exceptional and affordable care that you can depend on, and our team provides exemplary service so that you can feel safe and comfortable at every step of your healthcare journey. To consult our professionals, please contact us or book an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 610 Jones Ferry Rd Suite 102, Carrboro, NC 27510. We serve patients in Chapel Hill NC, Southern Village NC, Fearrington NC, Blands NC, and surrounding areas.