Chronic Diseases Management Specialist in Carrboro, NC
If you’ve been diagnosed with a chronic disease and are wondering what the next step forward is, visit us at Carrboro Family Medicine Center. Our chronic disease management specialists are adept and knowledgeable when it comes to tailor-made treatment plans with your wellness goals in mind. We’d be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have. To consult our professionals, please contact us or book an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 610 Jones Ferry Rd Suite 102, Carrboro, NC 27510.
Table of Contents:
A disease or condition is classified as being chronic when it lasts for longer than 3 months and requires ongoing medical care to prevent it from getting worse. This includes conditions such as arthritis, cancer, heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. While these conditions can only be managed and not cured, seeking help as soon as possible can help you to understand and deal with the effects of living with a chronic illness.
A chronic illness is any condition that lasts for longer than 3 months and requires ongoing medical care to be successfully managed.
Chronic conditions are often permanent and can be both physically and mentally taxing for those that have them. They may also hinder your ability to perform day-to-day activities, such as putting on your clothes, going to the bathroom by yourself, or preparing your own food. Examples of chronic diseases include diabetes, arthritis, lung disease, heart disease, and cancer.
The most important aspect of managing your chronic illness is seeking professional medical help as soon as you can. Pursuing treatment early will help you develop an understanding of your condition and the symptoms that come along with it. Treatment will also give you the tools and resources to help manage your stress and maintain a positive physical and emotional outlook.
If you’re looking for ways to help manage your chronic illness at home, chronic disease specialists often recommend the following:
• Asking for help when you need it.
• Eating a healthy diet.
• Getting plenty of physical activity.
• Honoring obligations that bring you joy and letting go of those that don’t.
• Limiting your alcohol intake.
• Reducing stress using tools like meditation, mindfulness, talk therapy, and taking part in activities you enjoy.
• Regular communication with family and friends.
• Taking your medication as prescribed.
Oftentimes, managing a chronic disease is best done by consulting both a specialist and a mental health provider. Together, you can design a treatment that is tailor-made to address your specific physical and emotional needs. This may include going to different therapies, taking medication, or instituting lifestyle changes. This can help improve your quality of life by helping you regain a sense of purpose and control.
While there is no way to completely prevent chronic illness, there are ways that you can mitigate your chances of developing one. This includes:
• Eating a diet high in fruits, vegetables, starches, and lean proteins.
• Getting enough high-quality sleep.
• Getting plenty of physical activity (at least 2.5 hours per week).
• Getting regular annual wellness checks from your primary care physician.
• Getting screened for cancer.
• Limiting your alcohol intake.
• Managing your stress levels.
• Not smoking or using tobacco products.
If you’ve already been diagnosed with a chronic illness, these same strategies can be used to ease your symptoms and prevent the worsening of your condition.
There are several factors that may contribute to someone developing a chronic disease. These include:
• Being overweight or obese.
• Consuming too much alcohol.
• Having a history of chronic illness in your family.
• Having an unhealthy diet.
• Having high blood glucose levels.
• Having high blood pressure (or hypertension)
• Having raised cholesterol.
• Living a sedentary lifestyle.
• Tobacco use
At Carrboro Family Medicine Center, we understand how significantly a chronic illness can affect your life and the lives of those around you. Our team of dedicated and experienced specialists will always proceed with your best interests in mind, ensuring that you have the right treatment plan to suit your medical condition, your needs, and your goals. Contact us today for more information about how we can help you manage your chronic condition or to book an appointment. We are conveniently located at 610 Jones Ferry Rd Suite 102, Carrboro, NC 27510. We serve patients in Chapel Hill NC, Southern Village NC, Fearrington NC, Blands NC, and surrounding areas.